When Governor Lachlan Macquarie first visited Hobart in November 1811, the settlement was little more than a clusters of dwellings scattered on either side of a little creek known as Hobart Town Rivulet. The creek ran between present day Collins and Liverpool Streets in an easterly direction, turn south and draining into Sullican's Cove around present day Hunter Street. Within a week of his arrival in Hobart, Macquarie had drawn up a new plan for the town based upon a new set of streets. The north-south streets were Harrington, Muray, Elizabeth and Argyle; the north-west streets were Pitt, Macquarie, Collins and Liverpool. A town square, to be called George's Square after the King, was to be bounded by Macqaurie, Elizabeth Streets. Two existing pathways, situated on either side of the rivulet between Argyle, Collins, Murray and Macquarie Streets, were abandoned. Macquarie's new streets were 60 ft wide with pathways 8 ft wide on either side.
By 1828, a new street parallel to Argyle - Campbell Street - had been extended to join Hunters Island to the mainland. Beyond Murray Street at the south-west end of the town, a new, as-yet unnamed road ran around the shores of Sullivan Cove past the Customs House Quay (Castray Esplanade) to the site of a proposed battery on what would become known as Battery Point. Another new road - Davey Street - emerged parallel to Macquarie Street to its south. All shipping had berthed at the Old Wharf at Hunter's Island until 1818 when land began to be resumed and embankments excavated for new wharves on the cove front.
Takes its name from the Abbotsfield Rivulet, which in turn is named after Edward Abbot, who owned much of the land in the vicinity of the rivulet in the 1820s.
In 1821 the visiting Governor Lachlan Macquarie renamed the village Roseneath, but it has since reverted to its original name, which honours early settler and ferryman, James Austin. Austin's original cottage is preserved as a tourist attraction.
An historical inner suburb on the east side of Hobart fronting onto the Derwent River. Originally called Knopwood's Point, it was later known as Battery Point because of the Mulgrave gun battery set up on the promontory to protect the citizens of Hobart. Built by Gov. Sorell in 1818 and named after Henry Phipps (1755-1831), 1st Earl of Mulgrave and Master-General of the King's Ordnance 1812-18, the guns were never fired in anger. The fort was renamed Prince of Wales Battery prior to 1857. At one time the name 'Battery Point' was changed to East Hobart but this proved unpopular and was soon changed back.
A suburb of Hobart on the Eastern Shore of the Derwent River, almost opposite Hobart. Originally it was named Kangaroo Point but was changed to Bellerive which is French for "beautiful scent". In about 1915 a newspaper article on the history of Bellerive approved the change, saying that Kangaroo Point had been a bad name, reminiscent of the time of wild animals. The present name appears to have been given by Gov. Franklin, recalls its namesake on Lake Leman (Geneva), it being opposite 'Secheron', a house on Battery Point. The towns of those names are opposite each other on Lake Leman. The name was officially recognised in 1832.
A northern suburb of Hobart about 15 Km from the city centre. It is not known how Berriedale got its name but the Berriedale Inn is on record as being opened in 1834.
Blackmans Bay south of Hobart was named after a James Blackman who occupied land there in the 1820s while another "Blackman Bay", near Dunalley (also in Tasmania) was so named in 1642 because of the presence of Aboriginal people.
It is located on the hill of the same name, overlooking Kingston. The hill was named because of its shape.
The suburb connects to the western shore via the Bridgewater Bridge and Causeway. It was because of the bridge that the locality was named. Bridgewater is situated on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. Bridgewater is situated on the eastern shore of the Derwent River.
A town on the Midlands Highway 28 Km from Hobart, it is not the first Tasmanian town to have this name. Gov. Lachlan Macquarie gave the name Brighton to the place known as Pontville; the name was changed in 1895. Macquarie selected the name Brighton in honour of the favourite place of residence of King George IV. As early as 1822, twelve months after Macquarie's visit, Brighton was being spoken of as the future capital of Tasmania. Although considered again in 1824 and 1825 the proposal was dropped and in 1826 became a Military Post on the main Launceston to Hobart road.
By 1820 Tasmania was divided into 23 districts, one of which was called Cambridge. It was colloquially called Hollow Tree and Cambridge was ignored for years, but eventually the more official name took over, especially since there was another Hollow Tree elsewhere. It was no doubt named after Cambridge in England.
A suburb of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. It is immediately west of the city centre, in the foothills of Mount Wellington. The locality is named because the river here flowed over cascades. It was from the waters of these cascades that the Cascade Bewery sourced the water it used at its distillery.
Named after Chigwell, a small town in the English county of Essex just north of London. The name was given by settler William Carter to a poperty allotted to him by William Gore Elliston in 1839. Chigwell farm was well equipped as a dairy farm and had a small brewery built on it.
An outer northern suburb of Hobart 23 Km from the city centre. Henry Bilton built 'Claremont House' c.1840 and it for it that the locality received its name. Claremont was named after the English home of Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales, daughter of King George IV. The Western Australian town of Augusta was named in her honour. The house was used as a hospital during World War II. The estate was established by Cadbury-Fry-Pascall as a confectionary factory, village and club etc. for its employees. The name was originally given by the Earl of Clare to his property in Suffolk, UK, which he purchased in 1714. The name means 'gentle mountain'.
Named after Clarendon Farm, the name of the property of its original owner James Cox, later a JP, who took up residence there in 1835.
One side of the Clifton Beach peninsula faces across Pipe Clay Lagoon towards Cremorne and the other looks onto Frederick Henry Bay so there are many properties with water views. Though only 30 minutes drive to the Hobart CBD, it still has an atmosphere of both rural and beachside living.
The area was originally known called Sorell Creek, and was inhabited mostly by British settlers in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1870, the arrival of the first immigrant ships to Hobart saw a large influx of German and Danish migrants who settled in the area, attracted by the cheap land and an abundance of clean water. The settlement was proclaimed a town in 1881, and was named Bismarck after Otto von Bismarck, the then-Chancellor of Germany. With the outbreak of World War I, anti-German sentiment saw Bismarck renamed to Collinsvale, after David Collins, the state's first governor.
The first English navigator to explore the Derwent River was Lieutenant John Hayes in 1793 he came ashore at this location and named the bay for the semi-precious cornelian stones found on the beach. Soon after Sullivans Cove was settled in 1804, the Cornelian Bay site became the Government Farm, supplying fresh vegetables and other produce for the first residents of Hobart Town.
A level beachside area just outside the regular commuter belt yet not far from Hobart city. Cremorne faces across Pipe Clay lagoon towards Clifton Beach with a beach fronting onto Frederick Henry Bay. Believed to be named after a property built in England by the Earl of Huntington, a place of popular amusement.
Named because of its proximity to the River Derwent. On a private voyage of exploration between 1792 and 1794, Comm. John Hayes (later Sir John) of the East India Company with two ships, the Duke of Clarence and the Duchess, spent several weeks in Southern Tasmania, during which time he named the River Derwent after the River Derwent of his birthplace Cumberland, England.
Dodges Ferry is a small township on the eastern side of the entrance to Pittwater. It was named after Ralph Dodge (1791-1871) who operated a ferry service across Pittwater from the 1820s. It is now a popular tourist locale.
The suburb takes its name from the geographical feature of the same name, which was originally recorded as Dowsing's Point. The name recalls James Dowsing, who with T Gavin, took up a 500 year lease on property here. The area was later claimed solely by Dowsing in June 1840, but was granted to S.W. Westbrook in December 1854 and again in December 1860.
Takes its name from Dynnyrne House, the home of the Tolman family who established York Farm at Sansford. John Tolman, who named the house, owned land to the top of a nearby hill which became known as Tolman's Hill. Robert Lathro Murray later built a house on the 58 acre property.
The name Fern Tree is adapted from the common name of the plant Dicksonia antarctica (Tasmanian Tree Fern) which grows abundantly in the area.
Named because it was a gully which ran from Flagstaff Hill.
The locality takes its name from Gage Brook, a small stream flowing into the River Derwent at Herdsmans Cove on the Old Beach. The stream was named in 1877. It takes its name from early resident John Ogle Gage, who established his home there in 1824.
The inlet of Geilston Bay was named after Colonel Andrew Geils who was appointed Commander of the settlement of Hobart in 1812, upon the death of David Collins. Colonel Geils lived on property in Geilston Bay which he called "Geilston Park". As well as being the home for the Commander, the suburb once had a large apple orchard, and at another time a golf course.Glebe An inner eastern part of Hobart. It was once referred to as Glebe Town. The name is an old English word that describes land given to the local church parish for its various uses.
Originally spelt as two words, it is thought the locality is named after Captain John Lusk (born 1802), master mariner and captain of the transport ships Lang, Mary, George Hibbert and Brixton. Lusk made many voyages to Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania) in the early 1800's. Records indicate that his second of three sons, George Aiken Lusk, drowned in April 1829, age 22. His brother, Arthur John Lusk, was a clerk in the office of the Provost Marshal, John Thomas Campbell. The word "Glen" is of Scottish origin, meaning "valley". Glenorchy
A northern suburb of Hobart, Glenorchy has city status with the third largest population in Tasmania. It has a history dating back to the earliest days of the colony and was the name given to the district by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie on his first journey through the area in 1811. It was named after Glen Orchy, a locality in Scotland which was the home of his wife. Originally spelt Gen Orchy, it has been known as King George's Plains and O'Brien's Bridge, after Thomas O'Brien, a Norfolk Islander who was granted land there in 1813.
Goodwood is a residential and industrial area. It is home to the Tasmanian Technopark, which includes manufacturing technology, information technology, biotechnology, electronics and specialist engineering. Goodwood is thus named because of its proximity to the Goodwood Racecourse at Elwick (now Goodwood). The racecourse takes its name from a famous racecourse in England.
Takes its name from Granton Railway Station. The name of the station was selected when the railway line through the area was built to honour Charles Grant, the General Manager of the Tasmanian Government Railways. The Tasmanian Main Line Railway from Hobart to Launceston was completed in 1876. As Chief Engineer, Charles Grant was in charge of construction, then general manager until 1890 when the government absorbed the private lines into the Tasmanian Government Railways.
Named after the estate of Green Point on the Derwent River.
The capital city of Tasmania it is Australia's second oldest city. Named Hobart Town after Robert Hobart, fourth Earl of Buckinghamshire (right), who was Secretary of State for the colonies. The word "Town" was dropped by an Act of Parliament in 1881 when it became a city. There were moves to convert the name to Hobarton but this was short lived.
Thought to be named after a market town in Yorkshire, England, or after Lord Howden, a General in the 43rd Foot Regiment in 1836, when the settlement here began to emerge.
A suburb of Hobart situated on the eastern side of Bellerive, along the shores of the Derwent River. Named after "Howrah House", a property built in the 1830s on the Clarence Plains by a retired Indian Army officer. There was a place of the same name near Calcutta, India.
There is some disagreement over the origin of the name. Some sources quote it as being a reference to the regio being the hunting fields of the Mount Royal tribe of Aborigines. Others say it comes from the name of the dairy farm of B.J. Pearsall, MHA. The latter may well have been named because of the first name suggestion.
Kingston grew from a holiday resort to a suburb of Hobart with the advent of the Southern Outlet road. Originally it was named Browns River after the noted Scottish botanist Robert Brown who explored the area a week after Hobart was founded. However, the name was changed to Kingston in 1851 by the Governor, Sir William Thomas Denison. The name Kingston was advocated by the then Police Magistrate, Mr Lucas. Although his exact reason for deciding on the name of Kingston is unknown, there are many theories. His parents, Thomas and Anne Lucas, the district's first settlers, lived at Norfolk Island before coming to Van Diemen's Land and the capital of Norfolk Island was Kingston. Another possible reason is that Thomas was born in Surrey, England in a village close to New Kingston.It had been settled in 1808 by Thomas Lucas and his family, who were evacuated from Norfolk Island. He named his proprty 'Kingston', after the settlement on Norfolk Island. Kingston has close ties with the Dutch community, where after 1950 many post-war immigrants moved to an area they called Little Groningen (today Firthside); Kingborough is sister city of Grootegast, in the Netherlands.
Takes its name from the estate of pioneer settler Robert Mather, at Muddy Plains on on Ralphs Bay. Mather was born in Lauder, Scotland. The post office here was originally known as Ralph's Bay. Ralphs Bay Canal and Roches Beach were combined under the name Lauderdale in May 1960. Lauderdale is within easy reach of Hobart airport and is close to safe beaches.
A suburb of Hobart. Originally named Kangaroo Valley. The word "lenah" is Aboriginal for "kangaroo".
An eastern shore suburb of Hobart, fronting onto the Derwent River at Lindisfarne Bay. Named after 'Lindisfarne House', a property adjoining Rosny in the 1820s, it was originally named Beltana but it caused confusion with Bellerive and so was changed in 1903.
A northern suburb of Hobart situated on the western shore of the Derwent River. Originally named Risdon Rise, a naming competition was run by the E. Z. Company in 1920 when they were building their housing estate. Lutana was selected. It is an Aboriginal word for "moon".
An outlying suburb of Hobart, it is located on a small peninsula with Orielton Lagoon on its eastern side and Pitt Water on its southern and western sides. The suburb meets the mid-way point of the Sorell Causeway from Hobart to Sorell, hence the name.
A suburb of Hobart on the eastern shore of the Derwent. The name appears to come from lawyer Algernon Sidney Montagu (1802-80), who was appointed Solicitor-General of Van Diemens Land in 1828. He bought a property of 800 acres and house of 14 rooms in the area, named Rosny House. It was believed the mansion stood on what is now Balaka Street in Rosny. Rosny House was later known as Montagu House, and was clearly marked on naval charts from 1863.
A northern suburb of Hobart on the north side of Glenorchy. Named after the Montrose Estate owned by Robert Littlejohn; believed to have been born in Montrose in Scotland.
Moonah / West Moonah
A residential and commercial suburb of Hobart. Originally named South Glenorchy until 1894 when the name was given to the post office and railway station. It was a popular place with early settlers for picnics; a racecourse was also there. The name is the Aboriginal word for the gum tree. West Moonah is an area which went ahead in the early 1950s because of a housing boom. Mistakenly known locally as Springfield because the electric trams serving the area terminated in Springfield Avenue.
Mount Nelson was originally named 'Nelson's Hill' by Captain William Bligh (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) in 1792 in honour of David Nelson, the Botanist of the Bounty mission, as "he was the first white man on it" when the Bounty visited 'Van Diemens Land' on its way to Tahiti. Nelson was one of the Bounty crew who was loyal to Bligh during the mutiny. He died in Timor on 20 Jul 1789 of an 'inflammatory fever' caused by the long open-boat voyage following the mutiny. His funeral was attended by the Governor and officers from every ship in the harbour. The name 'Nelson's Hill' was later changed to Mount Nelson.
Named after the geographical feature first known as Rumney's Hill. The name recalls William Rumney, the original grantee of the locality. Mount Stuart
The name Mount Stuart comes indirectly from a Governor of Bombay (Mumbai) in India, Mountstuart Elphinstone. Mountstuart was the fourth son of the eleventh Lord Elphinstone, and was born in Dunbartonshire, Scotland. A ship, the Mountstuart Elphinstone, was named in honour of the Governor, and in 1836, this ship visited Hobart town. The Mountstuart Elphinstone brought the news that the unpopular Lieutenant-Governor George Arthur, was ordered to return to London. This allowed reversal of some of his unpopular Laws. To celebrate, locals named two roads to the north west of the town Mount Stuart Road and Elphinstone Road . Over time the area around Mount Stuart Road became known as Mount Stuart . After a while an area outside Hobart Town (including much of West Hobart) was designated Mount Stuart Town . Knocklofty (hill) was also known as Mount Stuart or Paraclete. Mount Stuart Town was absorbed into Hobart around 1908.
At the time of Hobart's re-settlement on the western shore of the Derwent River in 1804, the first free settlers were landed at New Town Bay a day after the military and convict landing on Hunter Island on 20/21 February. Some early buildings remain including Pitt Farm which is the second oldest farmhouse in Australia. It was thus named because it was established as a new town away from the main settlement of Hobartown.
The name has been in use since 1816 when a ferry service started, originally referring to the then largely undefined area on the eastern side of the River Derwent extending from Mount Direction in the south to Cove Hill in the north. John Ogle Gage recorded the name in correspondance in 1824 as a reference to his residence. In some early records the name is spelt "Old Beech". This gives a little support to the local belief that the place was not named after a piece of the river foreshore but after an old man by the name of Beech who once lived in the area. He could have been associated with the local hostelry, or he may have conducted his own business in one of the small cottages near the ferry or main road, as there does not appear to have been a landowner with the surname Beech. It is claimed that travellers crossing the river at Austin's Ferry were often asked to leave items with "old Beech" before continuing their journey.
The origin of Opossum Bay's name is unclear. Some sources say it originates from the early days of the colony when American whalers who landed and camped there noted the existance of possums. Opossum Bay is nearly surrounded by water. Believe it or not, it is always about three degrees warmer here than Hobart, as well as having less rain and enjoying more sunshine.
A Hobart suburb on the eastern shore of the River Derwent, Otago takes its name from a ship that was broken up by a local shipbreaking establishment nearby on the shores of Otago Bay. The remains of the Otago (beached there in 1931) and a steel river steamer the Westralian (beached in 1937) can still be seen on the beach. The Otago was three masted iron barque that was built by A. Stephen at Glasgow, Scotland, in 1869.
Recalls William Sorell, who was Lieut. Gov. of Van Dieman's Land between 1817 and 1824. The name was given by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie when he visited the area and selected it for a townsite in 1821.
The site of Hobart's city reservoir, it takes its name from a nearby estate owned by pioneer settler L Norman. A post office was first established here in 1888. Ridgeway appears on a map by Franklin in 1837 but whether the name is of the occupant of the area or as a township is not clear.
Risdon / Risdon Vale / Risdon Cove
Named after William Bellamy Risdon, second officer of the ship Duke of Clarence. It was named by Comm. John Hayes (later Sir John) of the East India Company who was the first British explorer to 'discover' and chart the River Derwent. On a private voyage of exploration between 1792 and 1794, Captain John Hayes with two ships, the Duke of Clarence and the Duchess, spent several weeks in Southern Tasmania, during which time he named the River Derwent after the River Derwent of his birthplace Cumberland, England and also Risdon Cove and Mount Direction. Though the first white settlement was at Risdon Cove, an early farmer, Geils, called his property there Restdown, and the names were used interchangeably for decades, both popularly and officially; for example, the ferry inn was licensed as both the Risdon and Restdown Ferry Inn. Gradually Restdown became less used, but there was confusion as Risdon was used for both banks of the Derwent. In the early twentieth century they were called East Risdon and West Risdon.
Roches Beach The name recalls Harry Roche, a pioneer settler and resident who lived nearby. He was the son of J.S. Roche, the one-time school teacher at Rokeby.
Now known as Rokeby, Clarence Plains was named by Hayes in 1793 after his ship The Duke of Clarence. From this early name came the name of the present city. Rokeby itself was named after George Stokell's Rokeby House which Stokell had named after a village in Durham, England.
A long-established suburb of mainly weatherboard homes just north of the Tasman Bridge exit.
A small suburb of Hobart on the northern side of Montrose. It is thought to be named after 'Rosetta Cottage', a privately run school around the 1820s.
Rosny / Rosny Park
A family name of W A Bethune, the holder of the original grant. The name recalls his ancestor, the Duc de Maximilien de Bethune (1560-1641), Baron du Rosney and Duc de Sully, whose home was Rosny near Mantes in France. Sandy Bay A southern suburb of Hobart on the shores of the Derwent River. Australias first legal casino is situated there. Named by the Rev. Robert (Bobby) Knopwood, who is said to have applied the name descriptively. He first mentioned it in his diary in 1804. Lower Sandy Bay is on the southern side of Sandy Bay and takes in the beach from which the name originated. First named Lower Sandy Bay then it changed to Beachside, then in 1968 it was changed again to its' present name.
Sandford probably came from the Anglican Bishop Sandford, 1882-89, the only other known use of the name. Sandford was originally known as Muddy Plains. The name change happened some time after 1860, presumably because Muddy Plains was too unattractive a name.
Seven Mile Beach
Located on the South Arm peninsula, its name reflects the fact that the beach here is seven miles from Hobart.
Name is taken from the South Arm peninsula on which it stands. The peninsula, which separates the lower reaches of the River Derwent from Ralphs Bay, is the southern arm of the peninsula which separates Ralphs Bay and the River Derwent from Frederick Henry Bay.
Said to be named after an old town that once existed near Scottsdale. No reason is given for the name being adopted.
An outer southern suburb of Hobart on the shores of the Derwent River. The name is an Aboriginal word meaning "seashell".
Recalls John Tolman, an early settler in the area who owned land in the area, including the hill that now carries his name.
Tranmere in Old Norse is Trani-melr, meaning "Cranebird sandbank" or "sandbank with the Cranebirds". The name was first used by real estate developers to market land here.
Taken from the Aboriginal word for azure, a reference to the colour of the sky.