Exiles from the Canadian Rebellion, 1970
The Monument to the Exiles from the Canadian Rebellion was unveiled in Sandy Bay in 1970 to mark the 130th anniversary of the landing of the Canadian exiles from the uprising of the 1837-38 in Upper Canada in Van Diemen s Land. Three groups of prisoners were sent from Canada to Van Diemen s Land, following invasions and rebellions which occurred in the vicinity of Upper Canada (Ontario) in 1837 and 1838. The prisoners have been referred to as the Canadian exiles or rebels , but recent references favour the term Patriots or Patriot exiles . The monument is located on the corner of Sandy Bay Road and Marieville Esplanade.
French Memorial Fountain and Garden
The French Memorial Fountain in the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens was created in 1972 by Tasmanian artist Stephen Walker to mark the bicentenary of the first of a number of French voyages of discovery that visited Tasmania. The expredition was led by Bruni D'entrecasteaux. The great French voyager-naturalist Jacques Labillardiere visited Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) twice and laid the foundations of his Novae Hollandiae Plantarum Specimen, the first great flora of Australia. The garden surrounding the fountain is representative of plants collected and described by him during these early visits.
Cornelian Bay Cemetery
A short drive north of the city brings you to Hobart s main cemetery at Cornelian Bay, a place with a special connection to French Antarctic history. Dumont d Urville s French Antarctic Expedition of 1837-1840 arrived in the Derwent in December 1839 with most of the crew suffering from scurvy and dysentery. Around the time the ships were in Hobart, 29 members of the expedition died and were buried in Hobart. A memorial to the men was later erected at Cornelian Bay. The Cornelian Bay cemetery and crematorium was opened in July 1872 following concerns that existing cemeteries within the limits of Hobart city were a danger to the public's health. The first burial at the Cornelian Bay occurred on 5 October 1872.
In 1829, Governor George Arthur ordered the construction of a heated wall to protect frost tender plants and extend growing periods of fruit trees on the boundary of the Colonial Gardens. In the milder climate of Van Diemen's Land, fruit trees flourished without artificial heat, and the convict-built wall was only heated for a few years.
Perhaps to rival Arthur's wall, Governor Sir John Eardley-Wilmot also ordered the construction, also by convicts, of a wall 280 metres long on the eastern boundary of the Gardens. The walls provide structure and unique heritage value to the Gardens.
St Davids Park
A short walk up from Salamanca Place, St David's Park is located on the site of St David's cemetery. St David's Park is a formal English style walled park and dates from the beginning of European settlement in 1804. This was the site of the first burial ground in Tasmania. The park was laid out in its present format in 1926 and contains numerous memorials, including one to First Fleet convicts who came to Tasmania and were buried here.
Tasman Monument, 1988
The work of local sculptor Stephen Walker, The Tasman Fountain 1988, in Salamanca Place between Gladstone Street and Montpelier Retreat. A rough-hewn plinth of white rock showing the Southern Cross in bronze is partially surrounded by a white concrete fountain with three bronze ships sailing in it. On the other side stands a full size bronze figure of Abel Janszoon Tasman (1603 - 1659).
Tasman, after whom the state of Tasmania is named, was a Dutch seafarer, explorer, and merchant, best known for his voyages of 1642 and 1644 in the service of the Dutch East India Company (VOC). He was the first known European explorer to reach the islands of Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) and New Zealand, and to sight the Fiji islands. His navigator Francois Visscher and his merchant Isaack Gilsemans mapped substantial portions of Australia, New Zealand, and some Pacific Islands.
Mawson Place honours the outstanding contribution of the scientist-explorer Douglas Mawson to Australian Antarctic and maritime history. As a member of Shackleton s Nimrod expedition Mawson was a member of the three-man party which in 1909 became first to reach the South Magnetic Pole. Mawson later led three great Antarctic voyages, two of them out of Hobart, which mapped large coastal areas of East Antarctica and formed the basis of Australia s claim to Antarctic territory. Near here, crowds gathered in December 1911 to farewell Mawson s Aurora expedition.
The bronze fountain, Tidal Pools, 1970, is the work of Stepen Walker. Tidal Pools, with its inbuilt water feature at Long Beach in Lower Sandy Bay. In the 1950s, Stephen Walker studied under the celebrated sculptor Englishman Henry Moore. Walker has many large scale works around Tasmania and other parts of Australia, such as his Tank Stream Fountain (1981), at Circular Quay in Sydney. The sculpture was commissioned by the Bank of New South Wales, and stood in Sydney's Martin Place for many years. When the Sydney Westpac building was extended in 2000, the bank donated the bronze sculpture to the City of Hobart to be installed in Mawson Place. It became the backdrop to many a Bob Brown press conference, with the then Australian Greens senator's office located right next door in the Marine Board building. When Mawson's Skate was opened in 2013, the sculpture was moved again to its present location in Lower Sandy Bay.
Railway Roundabout Fountain
The Railway Roundabout fountain at the eastern end of Macquarie Street, is a rare example of the futuristic-themed Googie architectural style in Hobart. Googie architecture originated in Southern California during the late 1940s and was influenced by car culture and the Space and Atomic Ages. Googie-themed architecture was popular among motels, coffee houses and gas stations. Features of Googie include upswept roofs, curvaceous, geometric shapes, and bold use of glass, steel and neon. Googie was also characterized by Space Age designs depicting motion, such as boomerangs, flying saucers, atoms and parabolas is a form of modern architecture.
The Railway Roundabout was constructed in 1963 to help facilitate traffic on the newly-built Brooker Highway. Because it was built in close proximity to the main railway station at the time (the site is now occupied by the ABC Building), the roundabout was, and continues to be, called the Railway Roundabout. The sunken garden in the centre of the roundabout functions as a pedestrian thoroughfare, with under-road tunnels connecting to the two sides of Liverpool Street, the original site of the railway station to the north-east, and to the Domain and the suburb of The Glebe to the north-west. The roundabout remains one of the busiest road thoroughfares in Hobart, seeing inwards and outwards traffic from the Eastern Shore. The fountain is dedicated to the past and present Lord Mayors of Hobart. Originally designed by Geoff Parr, Rod Cuthbert and Vere Cooper, the fountain was efurbished in 2013, incorporating a new mosiac by Tom Samek.
Heading South, 1998 and 2002
Hobart s harbour witnesses the beginning of so many Antarctic adventures, so it is an appropriate place for a number of memorials to Antarctic explorers and expedition that began there.. Heading South, a sculpture by Stephen Walker, commemorates the port s role in Antarctic exploration by recognising English explorer James Clark Ross (1800-1862), who sailed from Hobart in 1840 to discover Antarctica s Victoria Land and the sea and ice shelf that carry his name. The sculptor Stephen Walker lived and worked at his sculptor s foundry at Campania, Tasmania.
The Bernacchi Tribute
The Bernacchi Tribute: Self Portrait, Louis and Joe, 1998, 2002 represents Louis Bernacchi (1876-1942) taking a self-portrait with his dog Joe and is a tribute to the 1899 British Antarctic Expedition of which Louis Bernacchi was a member. Surrounding this sculpture are other sculptures depicting the penguins and seals of Antarctica as well as some of the supplies and other animals present on the expedition. Bernacchi was raised in Tasmania, where he first developed a lifelong interest in physics. Specialising in terrestrial magnetism, he went to Antarctica with Borchgrevink s Southern Cross expedition in 1898 and with Robert Scott in 1901. The sculptures, located between Victoria Dock and Macquarie Wharf, are the work of Melbourne born Stephen Walker.
Franklin Square, dating from the 1850s, features a statue of Tasmanian governor and polar explorer Sir John Franklin, presented to Tasmania by his widow, Jane. On his way to Antarctica in 1898, Carsten Borchgrevink placed a wreath of remembrance on Franklin s statue and posed there with his men for a photograph. Sir John Franklin was one of the most distinguished men to be appointed Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land. Although he arrived in the state amid much fanfare, he left the post after six years, maligned, betrayed and exhausted. Franklin's superiors felt his wife, Lady Jane Franklin, was too influential on policy. In order to redeem his reputation Franklin set out to complete the charting of the Northwest Passage. It was to be his final voyage. Lady Franklin spent much money organising searches for her husband, and after they failed spent the remaining years of her life indulging in her love of travelling in exotic places.
Dr William Lodewyk Crowther statue
The other statue in the square is of Dr William Lodewyk Crowther (1817-1885), Dutch born politician, surgeon and owner of Southern Ocean whaling ships. He was the Premier of Tasmania 20 December 1878 to 29 October 1879. Dr. Crowther is noted for mutilating the remains of William Lanney, a Tasmanian Aboriginal, in 1869. He removed Mr. Lanney's skull and sent it to the Royal College of Surgeons in London. The act proved controversial even at the time and came to define William Crowther's place in Tasmanian history.
Opposite Franklin Square, at the front of the Reserve Bank of Australia at 111 Macquarie Street, is a life-size bronze sculpture of Antarctic penguins, seals and skuas, completed in 1984 by the Tasmanian artist Stephen Walker.